Zuriberg mentoring programme is designed to support new members who are getting started on their Toastmasters journey. Mentees are paired with a mentor – an experienced member who has the necessary knowledge and skills to guide the new member.
Role of the mentor
- Agree how you will meet/communicate;
- Explain how to use pathways/tutorials;
- Explain how to sign up in ‘EasySpeak’ for roles and speeches;
- Help the mentee set realistic, achievable goals on their TMI journey;
- Provide support for the first 4 roles:
- Icebreaker, timer, ah-counter, evaluation;
- Support the mentee to integrate into the club, and build their own network.
The role of the mentee (protégé)
- Contact your mentor (via e-mail, phone, etc, or at meetings as agreed);
- Sign up in ‘EasySpeak’ for the 4 first roles: Icebreaker, timer, ah-counter, evaluation;
- Follow through on goals;
- Ask for constructive feedback after completion of tasks (roles), speeches;
- Ask for support and introductions to other members as needed.
Benefits for the mentor
- Learn new skills;
- Learn from your mentee;
- Assist others;
- Clarify your own knowledge;
- Get credit for a “Pathways project”
Benefits for the mentee
- Understanding the Toastmaster program;
- Learn club standards and customs;
- Develop confidence;
- Participate in club meetings and activities;
- Build a network.
Responsibilities of the mentor and mentee
The mentor must be available, patient, respectful, flexible. The same goes for the mentee. Additionally, the mentee should understand that the mentor is offering up their time to support the mentee. Completing tasks and projects in timescales agreed with the mentor is important to maintain the good relationship. The mentor should also ensure that they’re not imposing their own goals on the mentee. The mentor is there only to guide. It is the mentee’s goals that we’re trying to support.
Toastmasters International’s pathway programme includes a compulsory level two project, “Introduction to Toastmasters Mentoring”. Members who have completed this project may be asked to act as mentors for new members. To sign up for this project, contact VP-education Vanessa Stournari.
Sign up to Zuriberg mentoring programme
To sign up to become a mentor, or to be assigned a mentor, contact Harry Loots DTM, VP-mentoring for more information.